Friday, June 27, 2008

one more birthday

Age is mind over matter, if you donot mind it does not matter........



- Mark Twain





I was celebrating my birthday as usual this year. Friends started wishing me Happy Birthday from night nine O'clock on the previous day onwards. At midnight 12 I got lot of calls wishing me happy birthday. It gives immense pleasure for me to know that so many friends remember my birth date. By the way it comes to my mind one question - is birthday so important in one's life? Some people even donot remember their birth date and celebrate the day as usual the same routine as any day. So many people hype it up with party galoring over wine flowing in and around. Some people make it simple to celebrate the birthday a bit special buying new clothes and visiting temples. Some people do some charity on the birthdays doing some great deed that will serve someone needy - these are socialites. Someone shy off to say that it is their birthday but they bask in the glory of getting recognized on their birthday. Not a problem! However you name it, it is anyhow a special day. But how many of us are really understanding what birthday means and what it tells us in life?



Does birthday mean that we need to celebrate a party with an extra candle? you will reach a age where you may need ceasefire or at later age fire department to blow the candles off.... but the fun is always there. Does birthday mean you spend some 500 bucks and give away party and spend the whole day for enjoyment? I shall tell you that the people who are born before 20th of a month are fairly lucky. I know how many purses will go empty when it is monthend and people who are born in last week need to plan for their birthday spending from first week of the month. Isn't it? However whether we show off or keep it simple it always reminds that you cross another year in your life. Each year is a reckoning. Each year is a realization of ambitions. Each year is an experience. Each year is a journey. Each year is a passage and so on.....



Infact it is a day to realize the past mistakes and make resolutions. We generally take Jan 1 to do it so why not keep birthday to do a revision? It is a revision of what we have made a resolution in past one year and what we need to make a resolution in future year. It is a time to verify our past one year tenure and be aware what needs to be planned in next year. Every year on personal front is quite important. Whether we move on careers or do something to enhance our work, our personal life is same and always changes with new phases of life entering in. It is the day to look behind and see what have we achieved in past X years when we complete the X on this day. It takes 10 minutes to make a self analysis and make a point to do something new in this year that will help our personal life. In my case, I made some resolutions myself to get to a better work-life balance. I decided to join yoga to enhance my health. I decided to finish my Guitar this year to get some self satisfaction of extra ciricular activity. On professional front I felt happy that I have completed one year in my current company and revisited my past one year experience. I made a resolution to enhance new skills on linux and drivers. On family front I decided to get some changes in my financial planning. On the view of friendships this year I brought many new friends into my circle but I keep forgetting to make a point with them catching them up. I decided to spend some ample time with them whenever I get some time. Remaining time I decided to dedicate to my reading skills and communication skills and improve my vocabulary. I have been doing some silly and want to become an expert in expressing things. This year also brought a quadrant way of planning time into my life. So I realize that this year will be great for me.



So it is your turn if your birthday is over or getting to come. you need to start thinking about what new resolutions that you plan to do this year and how do you plan to achieve them.

No comments: